Tuesday, September 7, 2010

a little bit of inspiration from me to you.

So, after what may have been the best weekend of my entire life I have been unable to force myself to get up and go for a run, thus, nothing to blog about. Well, I think we all know I love to chat and just couldn't go another day without spreading my wisdom. So, I've decided the best thing to do is write about what I think. Why I run. And what motivates me. Not saying it's right or it's wrong - just some thoughts.

While reading my running magazine today it dawned on me that people run for all reasons - they run for autism awareness. They run to raise money for our parks. They run for the health benefits. And some just run to be a part of a group. The great thing about running is the common bond all runners share. Those experiences and moments you have when you are the only one on a trail. And those you have when packed into a start line at a race. The stories are endless. I think one theme people find with runners is the positive can-do attitude. I definitely notice it within myself. I not only feel better about myself but I have a much better outlook on life after a few days of running.

Now, some may ask - as my mother does on a daily basis - why I am running a marathon all the way in Jacksonville when the Marine Corps Marathon is less than 30 minutes from my house. The answer is two-fold. One, the Marine Corps Marathon is only a month or two away and I can currently run no more than 4 or 5 miles on any given day. Two, ever since I was little my parents encouraged us to volunteer. One Christmas instead of asking for toys and clothes, my sisters and I received Livestrong bracelets. Although at the time I looked at it as though I was just shorted my new Britney Spears c.d. the thought has stuck with me for awhile.

That same thought carried with me into high school where my feature stories were about the benefits of donating to charities.  Then one year I decided to spend a weekend volunteering for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. It was such a powerful experiences - men, women, mothers, daughters, sisters, brothers - all gathered, sporting pink I might add, to raise breast cancer awareness and take over the district. This experience led me to organizing Breast Cancer Awareness month at my high school and the ongoing search for a cure continued.

It continued right into college when I was searching for the perfect sorority. I liked them all and just couldn't decide. The girls were all nice and involved in tons of activities. The turning point came to the last night of rush, I turned to my roommate completely split between two sororities. She looked at me and said, "Christy, the girls are all nice. You will get along with anyone - look at where you think you can make the biggest difference." And that made my decision entirely too easy. The next day I became a part of Zeta Tau Alpha and got the chance to spend the next four years raising money and awareness for the cause.

Now that college is over, it is on to my next challenge. Next item on the "Bucket List" - run a marathon. And what better way to do it then being surrounded by positive, amazing individuals who are running for a cause I have always been passionate about. This next chapter of my life is so exciting - I just hope I can survive the ride.

Passionately Pink,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment